• Select a School
  • Language

Drivers Education

Drivers Education

Drivers Education classes are offered throughout the school year and summer months by the Alamance-Burlington School System.

Driver Education courses are open to students who currently:

  • attend an Alamance-Burlington School
  • attend a private school in Alamance County
  • attend a charter school in Alamance County
  • attend a "registered" homeschool in Alamance County (You will need to download a form from the NDPE website or call (984) 236-011. Bring the form with you to the first day of class.
  • are 14 1/2 years old by the first day of class
  • are in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade
  • students over 18 by the first day of class can take the class but are too old to drive

Next Classes

If you are interested in upcoming classes please carefully fill out the Future Driver Education Class Interest Form. When a new class opens, students will be emailed . Classes are offered at each ABSS school every 2-3 months, depending on the need.

For information, or if you have any questions, please email the driver's education coordinator at [email protected]


Driver Education Resources:

Practice Tests: 

(open as YouTube videos)

Driver's Eligibility Certificates
A Driving Eligibility Certificate (DEC) is a printed document that is issued by the school principal and/or the principal's designee. The Driving Eligibility Certificate verifies that the student is currently enrolled in school and has demonstrated adequate academic progress toward graduation. To obtain a Driving Eligibility Certificate (DEC) students much have a driver education certificate. This is provided after completing 30 hours of classroom and 6 hours of behind the wheel (BTW) instruction.

A Driving Eligibility Certificate is needed when a student plans to apply for a North Carolina driving permit or license. Students must meet adequate academic progress towards graduation to obtain or maintain a driver's license or learner’s permit. In order to obtain a certificate, the student must have passing grades in 70% or more of his or her classes. Adequate academic progress will be evaluated at the midpoint of the school year (first semester grades) and at the end of the school year. Driver eligibility certificates can be obtained in the school office. A parent/legal guardian must be present to sign the DEC.